Laolu Akande(Abuja) : Major Highlights of the HomeGrown School Feeding Programme(HGSFP) of the President Buhari Administration will be:
- State Government will NOT be compelled to contribute. Their contribution is welcomed but NOT mandatory.
- One meal a day will be provided for 5.5 million school pupils across Nigeria.
- The first phase of this programme will be in 18 states. Three(3) states in each of the geopolitical zones.
- The HGSFP will create jobs along the value chain. Meals will be made from local produce of farmers in each state.
- The Federal Government will pay all contractors directly. There will be NO middlemen.
- The Federal Government plan to increase the number of school pupils served from 5.5 million to 20 million in 4 years.
- The Federal Government Appropriated 93.1 Billion to the programme in the 2016 Budget.