Hamilton after been unable to match the pace of Nico Rosberg all weekend to fought back to stay third, a well-timed pit-stop enabled him to leapfrog Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen in the closing stages.
Fox Sports reports Rosberg’s third win in a row, his first in Singapore and the 22nd of his career, while Hamilton had to settle for third behind Australia’s Ricciardo in a tactical night race on the Marina Bay street circuit.
Nico held on in a tense last lap to take the chequered flag 0.4 seconds ahead of Ricciardo. He moves to 273 points, eight ahead of Hamilton, with the Malaysian Grand Prix next up in two weeks.
Third place Hamilton acknowledged “Big congratulations to Nico, he drove fantastically well all weekend and fully deserved the win,”
Rosberg would have followed Ricciardo in but after a lap caught in traffic Mercedes opted for Rosberg to remain the tortoise to Ricciardo’s hare – a decision which was vindicated at the chequered flag by precisely 0.488 seconds.
“It was so close at the end, how it should be in Formula 1,” Mercedes boss Toto Wolff told Sky F1. “Four really great cars, different strategies and I must take my hat off to Red Bull with strategy by pitting him, we couldn’t do that.” Sky Sports report.
How they finish in the race:
Singapore GP result
1. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:55:48.950
2. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, +0.488
3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, +8.038
4. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, +10.219
5. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, +27.694
6. Max Verstappen, Red Bull, +1:11.197
7. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, +1:29.198
8. Sergio Perez, Force India, +1.51.062
9. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, +1:151.557
10. Kevin Magnussen, Renault, +1:59.952
11. Esteban Gutierrez, Haas, +1 Lap
12. Felipe Massa, Williams, +1 Lap
13. Felipe Nasr, Sauber, +1 Lap
14. Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso, +1 Lap
15. Jolyon Palmer, Renault, +1 Lap
16. Pascal Wehrlein, Manor, +1 Lap
17. Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, +1 Lap
18. Esteban Ocon, Manor, +2 Laps