The Kaduna State Police Command, on Tuesday said it had deployed two additional units of mobile police personnel to restore peace in Godogodo.
The command’s Public Relation Officer, ASP Aliyu Usman told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kaduna that the personnel were mandated to hunt down perpetrators of the crisis.
Usman said policemen were also deployed to Kafanchan and environs to forestall any reprisal attack.
He said that the Commissioner of Police in the state, Sanusi Lemu had undertaken an assessment tour of the area.
“The CP also accompanied the Kaduna State Deputy Governor to pay condolence visits to relatives of the deceased and the Chiefdom.”
He said that the visit was part of efforts to boost the morale of police personnel deployed to enhance the security of lives and property.
Usman said the Area Commander, Kafanchan, ACP John Yusuf, has initiated dialogue with various stakeholders involved in the conflict, to find lasting solution to the crisis.
“The dialogue session is intended to serve as alternative means of resolving the problem,“ the police spokesman said.
NAN reports that the 24-four hour curfew imposed on Oct 16 in the area had been relaxed.
The crisis, which has been on for over a month, had led to the death of several people and destruction of properties in Godogodo chiefdom, Jema’a Local Government Area of the state.
Meanwhile, schools and business premises have remained closed in Kafanchan, Kaduna state, despite the relaxation of the 24 hours curfew imposed on the town.
The authority of Jema’a LGA of Kaduna State, on Sunday, relaxed the 24-hour curfew imposed on Kafanchan to curtail the killings and destruction of properties in Godogodo area of the town.
A correspondent of NAN who monitored the situation on Tuesday, reports that schools, business premises including banks were still under lock and key.
Some residents of the town, who commented on the situation, attributed the continued closure of schools and business premises to communication gap with the authority of the local council.
Mr. Silas Aluwong, a parent resident in Garaje area, said he was turned back by the school authority when he went to drop his children at the school.
“The staff asked us to go back home as he had not received directive on the lifting of the curfew,” he said.
Mr. Emeka James, who owns provision store on Kafanchan/Kagoro road, told NAN that he had not received news on the reduction of the curfew hours.
He said that shops would remain closed until the tension subsidy.
“We have not heard anything from the government on when to open our shops; but common sense demands that one should be vigilant,’’ he said.
Meanwhile, several residents of Kafanchan have expressed concern over the closure of banks in the town.
They say the closure had prevented them from withdrawing cash from either bank halls or Automatic Teller Machines (ATM).
Mrs Alice David, a civil servant, appealed to the management of banks to be considerate and allow them withdraw money from ATMs.
“There is so much suffering; some people do not have food to eat let alone meet other needs,” she said.