Niger Government has asked illegal occupants in the old Army barracks in Suleja to leave as it had commenced demolition of structures in the barracks.
The Commissioner for Information, Mr Jonathan Vatsa, who made the statement while addressing newsmen on Wednesday in Suleja, said that the illegal occupants had been served with several quit notices.
He said the army relocated from the barracks on April 10, 2014 and relinquished the landed property (temporary barrack) to the state government.
He said that the land had not been put to use after the army left, hence it was occupied by some people, including some retired soldiers.
The commissioner said that the government had concluded arrangement to develop the land, but the illegal occupants had refused to vacate it.
“The demolition is as a result of the residents not heeding the countless meetings held with them and the numerous letters issued to them to quit.
“The area has become security threat as all sort of criminals use the place as hideout after perpetuating their evil activities outside,’’ he said.
Also speaking, Hajiya Habiba Ahmed, General Manager, Niger State Urban Development Board, said the board had engaged the illegal occupants in several meetings on the need to vacate the land, but they refused.
She the government intends to establish a modern city on the land.
One of the illegal occupants Hajiya Salamtu Mohammed, claimed that her husband only received three-day quit notice, which she said was not enough to secure another accommodation.
Another occupant, Malam Aliyu Salisu, said that he never received any quit notice from government before the commencement of the demolition. (NAN)