H.E Gov. Ibrahim Gaidam has urged newly elected chairmen of the 17 local government councils to justify the confidence that people have reposed in them by serving selflessly.
“They should know that by their election, the good people of Yobe State have placed confidence in their abilities to live up to expectation and fulfil their yearnings and aspirations”, he said.
He added: “We expect that you would continue to ensure observance of laid down rules and regulations for entrenchment of the on-going reform programmes of the State and embrace the tenets of accountability, transparency, and probity in the conduct of Government business”.
The governor also gave the elected chairmen a to-do list, asking them to live above board. These include:
“1. Establish pro-active machineries for enhanced internal revenue generation to seriously complement allocations from the Federation Account;
2. Continue rendering assistance towards revitalization of education through provision of teaching and learning materials, enlightenment and sensitization on enrolment;
3. Take further steps for enhancement of the health condition of our citizens including sanitation and hygiene best practices;
4. Promote Agriculture particularly in areas with potentialities of irrigation farming, fruit trees growing, oasis development; etc
5. Continue with laudable initiative of partnership with State Government in the execution of developmental projects deemed appropriate to avoid duplication of efforts and waste of resources to achieve our objective of accelerating rural and urban transformation in the State;
6. Ensure that the Biometric capturing exercise of employees in the Local Governments are carried out to totally remove ghost workers from the pay roll.
7. Re-order priorities in project implementation by ensuring that only those capital projects which are of high priority are proposed for execution and should conform with the budgetary provisions.
8. Keep close watch on all employees to ensure punctuality as the Chairmen would be held responsible for absenteeism and dereliction of duty on the part of staff working under their councils”.
Source Yobe State Govt