Now that the Olympics is close to the end, it is a tradition to select images that will best represent the Ro 2016 games. Below is our list
*NTA EDITOR NOTE: We got a little help from our friends(Vishnu Hari Dadhich, Leonardo Reda, et al) at Quora.com
- Nigeria’s Divine Oduduru with Usain Bolt, shortly after coming second in a race with the track legend
- French Olympic athlete Renaud Lavillenie cries on the podium after getting booed by the Brazilian crowd.
2. Irish boxer Michael Conlan gives the two-finger salute to the Olympic boxing judges after a controversial decision was awarded to Nikitin.
4. 52-year-old Abdullah Al-Rashidi won his first Olympic medal. But since Kuwait is banned he won in an Arsenal shirt.
5. Neymar nets the fastest goal in Olympic history to take the host nation Brazil into the football final.
6. Much awaited India’s first medal by Sakshi Malik – otherwise there would have been a ‘war’ in second most populous country
7. French gymnast Samir Ait Said broke his leg.
8. Simone Manuel at the medal stand after winning the Women 100m FreeStyle for the United States – you don’t get to see blacks on this particular podium
8. Runners Abbey D’Agostino and Nikki Hamblin embody the ‘Olympic spirit’ during a mid-race fall.
9. Shaunae Miller dives to beat Allyson Felix in the 400m final.
10. Japanese pole vaulter’s Olympic dream crushed by his own manhood.
11. Michael Phelps has the most Olympic gold medals of any individual in the history of the games.
12. These two dudes spitting out pieces of lungs while Bolt poses for photos.
13. Andre De Grasse and Usain Bolt were both smiling after the semi-finals.
14. Usain Bolt flying ahead in 200m finals.
15. North And South Korean Olympic gymnasts just took A selfie.
16. Egyptian judo star who refused to shake hands with Israeli opponent after being beaten is sent home by his team in disgrace.
17. Chinese diver Qin Kai gets down on one knee to propose to his girlfriend He Zi.
18. German twin Olympians finish race hand in hand.
19. Dipa Karmakar loses medal at Rio 2016 Olympics, but her Produnova win hearts becoming fifth woman to land successfully.
20. Mahe Drysdale captured the gold medal in the 2000m single sculls race in at the 2016 Rio Summer Olympic Games, finishing approximately 1 centimeter ahead of Croatia’s Damir Martin.
21. Michael Phelps’s rage face.
22. Brothers Alistair and Jonny Brownlee congratulate each other in the final 3km as the pair won gold and silver.
23. Jordan won its first ever medal at the Olympic Games, when AhmadAbughaush won gold in the Men’s 68 kg tournament in Taekwondo.
24. PV Sindhu of India hugs Carolina Marin of Spain after their final match and place the racket of Marin on the side of the court. PV Sindhu has scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman to bag a silver medal at the Olympics.
25. The two great rivals Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan embraced and exchanged their shirts after a thrilling match. Lee, who lost the last two Olympic finals to his arch-rival Lin, sensationally defeated Lin.
26. Chierika Ukogu, Coco – Nigeria’s first ever rower during the women single scull – she self-funded her trip, she came second in Final D and ranked top 2 in Africa.
27. The other swimmers are nowhere to be seen as Katie Ledecky powers through to win Gold. We call this an act of destroying your competition!
28. Usain Bolt ends it with a triple triple, absolutely a legend. Bolt celebrates in his trademark ‘lightning bolt’ stance.
29. Table tennis player Ma Long of China picks up his paddle with a picture of him on the handle.
30. Emilie Andeol of France reacts in the women’s 78kg judo medal ceremony.
31. The Maracana Olympic Stadium during the opening ceremony is seen from the Mangueira favela slum.
32. Simone Biles of the U.S. competes on her way to gold in the vault during the women’s individual all-around final.
33. Men compete in the 110m hurdles preliminary in the rain.
34. Sara Dosho of Japan celebrates with her coach after winning the gold medal in the wrestling final.
— Wab Kinew (@WabKinew) August 19, 2016
35. Brianna Rollins of the U.S. celebrates winning the gold medal with silver medalist compatriot Nia Ali and bronze medallist Kristi Castlin in the 110m hurdles.
36. Joseph Schooling of Singapore and Michael Phelps of USA pose with their Gold and Silver medals respectively.
37. Novak Djokovic (SRB) cries after losing his first match against Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG).
38. Heroic French race walker, Yohann Diniz maybe pooped, blooded his pants and collapsed but finished a 50 km race securing eight position.
39. Silver medallist Nia Ali of USA celebrates with her son Titus after the women’s 100m hurdles.
40. Rugby player Isadora Cerullo of Brazil hugs her fiancee Marjorie, who works as a volunteer at the Olympics, after accepting her marriage proposal on the sidelines of the women’s rugby medal ceremony.
41. Anna-Maria Alexandri and Eirini-Marina Alexandri of Austria compete in the synchronized swimming duets free routine final.
42. Kristin Armstrong of the U.S. smiles with her son during the medal ceremony for the women’s individual time trial cycling.
43. Sadiq Umar after making it 3 – 0 for Nigeria against Honduras in Bronze medal match – this was the moment Nigeria knew we were not going to be a laughing stock, we were really coming home with ‘something’
44. The moon sets behind the Vidigal favela in Rio de Janeiro.
45. Neymar of Brazil, celebrates and pays tribute to Bolt cheering in the stands, scoring their first goal. Neymar shed tears of joy after delivering Brazil’s first men’s soccer gold medal with the winning penalty in a 5-4 shootout triumph over Germany after a thrilling final ended in a draw following extra-time.
46. The Japanese star Kaori Icho became the first female athlete to win a gold medal in individual events at four different Olympic Games after taking the 58kg freestyle wrestling title at Rio 2016.
47. Mo Farah (GB) made his own piece of history by sealing the “double-double” in 5,000 m and 10,000 m. Farah’s becomes just the second man after Finland’s Lasse Viren to win both the long-distance events at successive Olympics.
[IMAGE SOURCES: 9GAG, Reuters and Google]
Let’s know your thoughts in the comment box below, did we miss any shot you think should be on this list.
While this last one does not belong on any list, but didn’t stop us wondering what in the world is happening in Ethiopia – is this sport corruption at a grande scale.
Olympic swimmer Robel Kiros Habte gained internet fame for his portly build and agonizingly slow qualifying time.
Habte finished dead last from 59 swimmers in the men’s 100m freestyle qualifying, and a huge 17 seconds behind the winner in his three-man swim sprint, posting a time of 64.95 seconds. The 24-year-old college student’s performance has split opinion online, with some affectionately dubbing him “The Whale” due to his generously rounded stomach in a pool of chiseled abs, and others insisting he should be in better shape as an Olympic athlete so as not to “embarrass” his nation. Turned out he is the son of the Ethiopia Swimming Federation Boss.