Edo Governor Poll: Nwuche Heads Screening Committee
The National Organising Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Senator Osita Izunaso, inaugurated a high-powered seven-member Screening Committee and three-member Screening Appeal Committee for 2016 Edo State governorship election primaries.
The Screening Committee is chaired by a former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Chibudum Nwuche.
Other members are: Senator Olubunmi Adetunmbi, Senator Caleb Zagi, Mrs. Mary Enwongulu, Hajiya Aisha Aliyu, Kizito Martins and Dr. (Mrs) Oyibo Obasi (Secretary).
The three-member Screening Appeal Committee is chaired by Senator Adeleke Olorunnimbe Mamora.
Other members are: Senator Nkechi Nwaogu and Abubakar Hussaini Moriki (Secretary).
Izunaso urged the screening committee to carry out a comprehensive due diligence on all documents submitted to the party by the 12 aspirants.
He said the candidates should meet eligibility requirements provided for in the 1999 Constitution (as amended), the 2010 Electoral Act (as amended), the party’s constitution and its 2014 guidelines for the nomination of candidates for public office.
Twelve aspirants collected the APC Expression of Interest and Nomination forms for the state governorship election.
The time-table and schedule of activities for the conduct of the APC governorship primary election released by the party’s National Organising Secretary reads:
- Sale of Forms (APC national secretariat): Tuesday, May 17– Friday, June 3.
- Last day for submission of completed forms (APC national secretariat): Monday, June 6.
- Screening of aspirants (Abuja): Wednesday, June 8 – Sunday, June 12.
- Screening appeal (Abuja): Monday, June 13 –Wednesday, June 15.
- Primary election: Saturday, June 18.
- Election appeal: Monday, June 20 – Wednesday, June 23.