FIFA shelves planned ban on Nigeria as FG endorses Pinnick as NFF President
The Federal Government has announced its recognition of the Amaju Pinnick-led executive as the authentic leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Laolu Akande, Special Assistant to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo made the announcement on his official Twitter handle on Monday.
The tweet which was sent at 11.38 a.m., few minutes before the 12 p.m. deadline given by FIFA for the resolution of the leadership tussle in the Nigerian football governing body, said the government had already informed FIFA of the decision.
“The FG has already conveyed to FIFA its firm position recognizing Amaju Pinnick-led NFF as the current & only NFF Exco.
“Govt will also continue to work with all relevant stakeholders involved to resolve dispute in a timely manner. FG is upholding NFF treaty obligations to FIFA,’’ Akande tweeted.
World football governing body FIFA had on Tuesday said it would go on to suspend Nigeria from football activities if they failed to comply with its instructions by Monday at noon (CET).
FIFA, in a statement by its Media Office, said it had been notified about ongoings in the NFF, and it viewed them as “undue interference in their affairs’’.
It said Nigeria must ensure the NFF offices in Abuja were occupied by the Amaju Pinnick faction of the federation’s Congress by Monday.
NAN also reports that the Glass House had been occupied at different times by both the Chris Giwa and Pinnick factions of the federation’s Congress
This occupation has however been with the aid of men of the Nigeria Police and the Department of State Services at such times. (NAN)